Monday 29 July 2013

D.I.Y Time! (Kawaii Ice Cream Cone)

Hello everyone!


Today I thought I would try making a tutorial for anyone who wants to get into making plushies or for anyone who wants to sharpen their sewing skills.. (or if you just love really ridiculously cute things!) This idea literally came out of the blue, and I was sort of in the crafting mood; so I came up with a super easy super cute ice cream cone! I embroidered on the eyes and used a blanket stitch for the entire project, but you can do whatever you're comfortable with. You can also use what ever colours you have handy and you can embellish the plush any way you want. This is just a guideline and I show you the way that I make some of my plush items. The only limit you have is your own creativity! Let's get started!


You'll need:

  • Felt (any colours you want for the ice cream and cone)
  • Thread to match (I use embroidery floss, they come in every colour you can imagine so it's easy to match to your fabric)
  • Scissors 
  • Stuffing
  • A pen (I recommend a ink pen because Sharpies tend to bleed through some fabrics)
  • A needle
  • Some pins (if you need them, I don't usually use them for smaller projects, but I added them for the sake of the tutorial)
  • White paper (to draw your object on to use as a template or pattern)
  • Fabric Fusion (optional, if you want to affix some pieces before stitching them together)
  • Any embellishments you want to add





You'll want to start by roughly drawing your shape onto the paper. I don't usually do this unless it's going to be something I make often, and for the sake of the tutorial I decided to make a template... (Plus it turned out really adorably and I think I'll be making more!)


Next cut out your shapes 

I wrote x2 on these because you'll want to draw 2 of each piece on your fabric

Now take your shapes and draw them onto the desired colours of felt


I decided I wanted to put a cherry on my ice cream, so I drew some circles on a piece of red felt and cut a stem out of the scrap felt of the colour I'm using for the cone.
 Now cut out your shapes

I attached the stem to the inside of the cherry with some fabric fusion and stitched the cherry together with a blanket stitch


Then I attached the cherry to what will be the front piece of my ice cream


Next add the eyes (I embroidered mine on, you can use safety eyes or felt, whatever you want really)


Then I cut out a small piece of red felt for a mouth and stitched it on, if you don't want to stitch it on you can always use glue, or embroidery or you can draw or paint it on.


I put some running back stitches onto the cone to make it look like a waffle cone (my favourite) but again you can do whatever you'd like


Now stitch the bottom of the ice cream to the top of the cone (I used a blanket stitch) and leave it like that for now


Next stitch the cone together and leave the top open


Lightly stuff the cone and stitch it closed


Then stitch the ice cream parts together, leaving a small opening at the end for stuffing. Lightly stuff the top like you did with the cone and stitch the opening shut and you're done!







There is the front and back view, you can add anything you want to it! I think I'm going to affix a magnet to the back with some fabric fusion and either sell it in my Etsy shop or stick it on my fridge... (I think it's so cute so I'm not sure if I want to give it up! lol) You can also add ribbon to the top and make it into a key chain, (or punch a hole and add an eyelet to make it more fancy) and you can add small beads or sequins if you want some sprinkles (I was originally going to add some rainbow sequins to the front of mine, but for the life of me I couldn't find where I put those buggers...) 


That's all! I hope you enjoyed my very first tutorial!

I may do more in the future!

xoxoxo


PS: If you make one or a zillion of these cuties, post a link or photo in the comments! I'd love to see your works of art! Or you can post pictures to my Stitchy World page on Facebook! www.facebook.com/stitchyworld

1 comment:

  1. nice <3 your blog is very lovely and interesting. im glad if you visit my blog, too <3 keep in touch!

    xx
    beauthi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete