Monday 14 December 2015

DIY Thumbprint Animal Ornaments! (Blogmas Day 14)

Welcome to Blogmas day 14!! I can't believe how quickly December is going! 11 days left until Christmas, and I'm so excited! Today, I wanted to share an onament DIY that's fairly easy and looks super cute! I just want to put out there, that I am by no means an artist ha ha! I made 2 different ornaments, a reindeer and a small family of penguins.


To make these super cute ornaments you'll need a few things:


  • Ornaments (we got clear glass ones, but if you want to save some time, you can get assorted color ones
  • Paint (we used a mixture of acrylic paint and glass paint)
  • Paint brushes 
  • Q-tips/cotton buds (I used these for smaller details)

If you are using the clear ornaments, you'll want to take off the top and pour a small amount of paint inside while slightly rotating the ornament around to cover it completely with the paint. After its coated, set it upside down on a piece of paper or a towel to let the excess paint run out.

Next pour some brown paint onto some paper and dip your thumb into it. I dabbed my thumb on the paper a couple of times to get the excess off, and gently press your thumb into the desired spot on your ornament. I put one print horizontally for the body and one at a diagonal for the head.

 I then painted a small tail on the end of the body, followed by some legs. I took a q-tip and dipped it into red paint and gently pressed it onto the head in the spot I wanted it to make a nose.



I then took a small paint brush and painted some antlers on top of the head in black. 

Finally I took the other end of my q-tip and dipped it into black paint and dotted eyes onto the head of the reindeer, and then taking my small brush, I drew on a little smile in black paint. If you want, you can leave it as is, or you can paint on some grass and a small tree like I did. That's all there is to it!


To make the penguin, you'll follow the same steps, fill in the ornament if you're using a clear one, and do the same technique for the penguins as you did for the reindeer. 

After the bodies dry, I did three, take your small paint brush and take some white paint and draw a circle onto the lower half of the body to make their tummies. To make the eyes I did the same thing as for the reindeer, only after I dabbed the q-tip to make the eye in white, I took my small paint brush and dotted the middle of the eyes to make a pupil.

 You can decorate your penguins however you wish, I gave mine different winter gear. Also, I took some yellow nail polish because we didn't have yellow paint, and I made small circles on the bottom of the bodies to make feet. You can leave it as is, or add some "snow" with some white paint, I just swirled my brush around in circles to make some snow.

That's a wrap for day 14!
What is your favorite Christmas DIY?
xoxoxo

1 comment:

  1. I love them both their so cute and a creative thing to do

    ReplyDelete